The Town of Hillsborough will not service solid waste routes on Friday, June 18 to observe the Juneteenth holiday.
Most town offices remain closed to the public due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Juneteenth-related solid waste changes are as follows:
- Garbage collection — Residents whose garbage is normally picked up on Fridays will receive service on Monday, June 21.
- Bulk items collection — Bulk items collection will follow the same schedule as garbage collection.
- Brush collection — Brush collection will follow the same schedule as garbage collection.
- Recycling — Orange County waste and recycling centers will be closed Friday, June 18. See the Orange County Solid Waste Management Department website for more information.
- Landfill — The Orange County landfill will be closed Friday, June 18. See the Orange County Solid Waste Management Department website for more information.
For more information, view the town’s full curbside collections calendar online or call 919-296-9600 for a copy.
Juneteenth celebrates the emancipation of those enslaved in the United States. It is also known as Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, Liberation Day and Emancipation Day. This is the first year the town has observed Juneteenth with a paid holiday for employees.
Final holiday schedule news release
This will be the final news release featuring information about the town’s holiday solid waste collection schedule and holiday office closings. Information will continue to be provided on the town website, in the community newsletter distributed with water and sewer bills, and on Facebook and Twitter.